Friday, November 11, 2011

Pen Pals & Letter Writing






At my school, we have the children team up with a class on a different grade and the teachers set up pen pals. The students write to each other several times throughout the year. At the end of the year, the students have a pen pal picnic and they get to meet in person. It's so cute to see them meet their pen pals... some students actually get nervous!

I use any resources I can find to teach them letter writing. Recently, I have been pinning friendly letter resources like it's going out of style and I found...
Parsley Patriot Kids Postal Pals

Parsley Postal Pals

It's a simple website that lists all the parts of a friendly letter with descriptions. I plan to use it this week to start writing their pen pal letters and it's a great way to transition into persuasive letter writing as well.

I was planning on having this website displayed on the Smartboard while I go through the basic parts of a friendly letter. Of course, I always include BrainPopJr in there somewhere... They have a great 6 minute video on how to write a friendly letter.






Here are some other things I found while pinning...
writing your own letter
Dear Mrs. LaRue By Mark Teague

Pinned Image


Cute anchor chart...

Friendly Letter Boy


letter writing




2 comments:

Kristin said...

This is GREAT stuff!!! Thank you for sharing!
A Teeny Tiny Teacher

Unknown said...

Hello I am Elineide, a Brazilian young, in love with the world of correspondence in this life all I want is to make new friends, exchange letters, postcards and share cultures, please help me find new friends.

neideblade@yahoo.com.br

Post a Comment